Tuesday 16 October 2007

John Apu Smith

I picked up the phone just now and in one of the strongest Indian accents a voice asked ' May I be speaking to M....?' He sounded like someone doing one of those embarrassing impersonations of an Indian that drifts into welsh from time to time. He was an uber Apu (from Simpsons).
'Who is it?' I asked abruptly, certain that it wasn't a friend since hardly anyone uses this number and it definitely wasn't my sister or my girl.
'John Smith sir.' he said without a trace of irony. I laughed so much and amidst my laughter told him to sod off (in a friendly way) that he must have realised I wasn't going to buy whatever it was he was flogging. Poor bloke just hung up. Maybe his name is John Smith and I seriously offended him. More likely it's just another daft manifestation of the call centre phone sell thing that remorselessly bedevils our existence these days.

No comments:

Birthday challenge #2

Joe Game Joe's birthday Game Use the arrow keys to 'catch' blocks with the letters (or ...