Sunday 10 February 2008

The Book Thief

I'm reading 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. I can see why it has mixed reviews. I'm surprised I didn't read it sooner to be honest. Holocaust, Nazis and a new angle should have grabbed me from day one. I'm not here to write a book review, though I will say that it's quite likely I'll buy a copy for someone. Here are two contrasting views the first of which is a lot closer to my own perceptions:

There are few novels that capture so effectively the reality of everyday life for ordinary Germans during the dark days of the Third Reich. Death tells us the story of Leisel, a ten year old orphaned victim of Nazi intolerance, and her vivid coming-of-age experiences of life in Molching, in a small suburb of Munich, during the first years of the war. Zusak's narrative approach is highly original but leaves us with genuine understanding and sympathy for the real victims of Hitler's war. The characters are colourful, real and so very human that you live through them and ultimately suffer, like Death, their various and frequently tragic fates. It's not a easy book; its love of humanity is edged with suffering, hardship, regret and even hate. Inevitably Death conquers all and takes all away; but it is the human quality of the life experience and the memory of love that ultimately challenges Death in his final journey.

Okay so I was swept up by the hype surrounding this book - international bestseller, five star reviews, and shelves in every bookshop creaking under its weight. So I did what any book lover would do: I bought a copy, I found a quiet corner and I turned to page one. And I can safely say I was bored to tears from the off. Uninspiring prose, tedious narrative and cliché ridden characters are some of the books better qualities. That a novelist can deal with such an enormous event narrated by such an enigmatic character and make it so stultifyingly boring is either the mark of a genius or a fool. But I thought how can so many people be wrong so I persevered: I FINISHED THE BOOK!! And never have I been so disappointed! In the spirit of Death I felt everything looked Grey! Mr. Zusak can I have eight hours of my life back, please!

I'm still 80 or so pages shy of the climax. Can people who know me avoid telling me the outcome of World War II- I don't want to spoil the end.

No comments:

Birthday challenge #2

Joe Game Joe's birthday Game Use the arrow keys to 'catch' blocks with the letters (or ...