Tuesday 14 April 2009

Land of hope and glory

Really it's no wonder we built a massive empire and struck fear into the hearts of our enemies. A trip to Howarth then on to Hebden Bridge yesterday (Easter Monday) revealed England to be what most foreigners have no doubt long suspected: full of absolute nutters. This first clip is of the annual Duck race in Hebden. I think that the clip, although short, and poorly framed with bobbing blue rinses in the foreground, captures the thrill of the race and the tension as onlookers of Donald vies with Daffy and four or five thousand other (probably unnamed) little plastic fellows for a taste of glory. A doping scandal marred the event though, unfortunately.

Some pictures of last year's event can be found here: http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/photos/duckrace-2007/index.html

I had something to say about it two years ago too. I think I was more cynical then. http://neverred.blogspot.com/2007/04/duck-race.html

The second clip shows a group of Morris Dancers proving that street dance isn't something invented in Compton, LA. This lot were outside the station, in a car park. I had to do Morris dancing when I was at school. It's likely to form the basis of my new Dave Peltzer style memoir.

No comments:

Birthday challenge #2

Joe Game Joe's birthday Game Use the arrow keys to 'catch' blocks with the letters (or ...