Thursday 12 July 2007

symbols

I was looking at this the other day as I drifted out of a conversation with colleagues that didn't particularly grab me. It's such a recognisable symbol and I reckon pretty much everyone understands what it means. There's something about it though that makes me feel uncomfortable. I would like to ask wheelchair users how they feel about representing ALL disability in this way. I'd like to ask them if they mind their image looking like it has no arms , a single square boob and a squashed head. The thing is I know I won't; It would sound like I was taking the piss.

No doubt it's important to have this degree of ubiquitousness but, well, it just made me think. Still don't know what I'm thinking yet.

No comments:

Birthday challenge #2

Joe Game Joe's birthday Game Use the arrow keys to 'catch' blocks with the letters (or ...